When we recently elaborated about the huge advantages that Ruby on Rails framework hold for developers and end users as well, part of our community and hard core PHP ambassadors reacted that we over emphasized a technology over another one that represents a classic standard in web development. We surely hold most of the accountability for this impression although our portfolio of clients, projects delivered, ratio of programmers deployed and our strategic commitment towards Web 3.o development clearly indicate that both technologies are choice of preference and putting one atop another is simply illogical without stating the rating criteria and the particular web project we are talking about.
These days there is a buzz in the tech world especially when it comes to the affiliation of startup founders towards Ruby on Rails , about PHP being replaced by Perl and it is now probable that Ruby on Rails will take over the former. But most would deny the fact as PHP has been designed to overcome shortcomings faced by programmers using Perl. On the other hand, to overcome the drawbacks of Perl, ASP and PHP languages, Ruby on Rails was developed.
Comparison between web application frameworks- Ruby on Rails versus PHP
- Web hosting: In the realm of web hosting, PHP is the winner and most of the web hosting companies provide complete support for PHP application development. On the other hand, Ruby on Rails is supported by Unix based server only and the control panel has not been implemented for Rails 3.0 framework.
- Code structure: In comparison to PHP, Rails has clearer code structure
- Application performance: Although with a few lines of code, developers can achieve tasks in Rails compared to PHP, but the coding in the later runs faster than the former.
- Testing: Testing codes and modules are difficult in PHP. But with the introduction of R-spec testing rails code, Ruby on Rails is much easier for testing. With a little code changes, developers can easily do testing with CakePHP.
- Memory: Ruby on Rails uses more memory space compared to its counterpart that runs faster and offers seamless performance.
- Frameworks: Both the languages have good MVC architectural framework. While Zend, CakePHP, Codeigniter are compatible frameworks of PHP, Ruby has Vintage, Sinatra and other good frameworks.
Ruby on Rails is a framework for writing web applications while the other one is a programming language. Hence, it is definitely not an apples-to-apples comparison. A lot of PHP frameworks are available although some are good while others are not.
You should go for that framework or technology thinking in terms of your requirements and availability of resources. While PHP development has already gained recognition as a matured programming language, Ruby on Rails is also gaining momentum.
Over the past few years, the growth rate of PHP has stagnated in comparison to Ruby on Rails that has been growing tremendously. This is chiefly due to the fact that most developers in web design firms desire to use more sophisticated technology and framework for their web development needs.
We hope this will prove our firm believe and business attitude that technology has two sides just like life and every successful organization or individual must be able able to harness the best from the two sides in technology and in life as well in order to offer the best to its stakeholders.
We believe that some of you are great ambassadors of one out of the two development technologist. We would like to see how many of you support and utilize one over the other. Share your thoughts and comments below.