In a previous couple of years, mobile application development has turned into a blasting industry. For an online business, today business mobile app development is essential. With the constantly expanding fame of smartphones, individuals are progressively finding a utilization for them in achieving everyday tasks. For example, if you actually want to boost your sales using the technology then an app development is truly recommended for everyone.
One of the major advantages of apps is that they can be utilized as a medium to enhance existing service and can tie-up with a few advances, for example, Virtual Reality or Augmented Reality (VR/AR) based gadgets, Automobiles, and more.
Cross-Platform Mobile Development is now a trend today. As there are billions of smartphone users in the market, it is not possible to develop on both major platforms, hence, in this case, Cross-Platform Mobile App Development Services is a boon in such scenarios. Also, there are several competing mobile app cross-platform tools available. Other than PWA and Hybrid, Google’s Flutter and Facebook’s React Native are among the most well-known ones.
Programmers can develop apps for multiple platforms operating systems at the same time using cross-platform mobile development. A question must be there in your mind “ Why Cross-Platform For Your App Development Business?” Well, we can say that the advancement of cross-platform app development aims at this aspect. The two main benefits of cross-platform app development is a faster development process and reduced cost.
What is Progressive Web Apps (PWA)?
Key Features of Progressive Web Apps (PWA)
- PWA provide full responsiveness and browser compatibility as these apps are built according to progressive enhancement principles and work with all browsers that are compatible with any device.
- Another benefit is connectivity independence that is it can work both offline & on-low quality networks.
- It includes an app-like interface.
- PWA always update themselves automatically which means the apps stay fresh.
- These apps are served via HTTPS so that unauthorized user will not be able to access the content & prevent snooping.
What is Flutter Framework?
Key Features of Flutter Framework
- It incorporates a modern react-style framework, instant gadgets, and development tools.
- Huge support for the creation of customized interfaces with unique themes and priorities according to your needs.
- A new feature is there known as “Hot Reload”. Using this tool, you get access to a wide range of widget set along with working on the dynamic interface with ease.
- It has high effective portable GPU rendering UI power that allows it to work on the latest interfaces.
Pros & Cons of both Flutter and PWA
It’s important to have a look at the pros and cons of both the contenders of the race, i.e. Flutter and PWA. So, let’s start with the Flutter followed by PWA.
Pros of Flutter
- It is hot reload which means that the developers can see all the changes they’ve made to the code.
- Perfect for an MVP.
- It improves overall performance as well as app startup time.
- It gives access to native features.
- Easily learnable
Cons of Flutter
- It isn’t supported by web browsers as it only mobile applications.
- Lack of third-party libraries. Using Flutter, the developer has to build these libraries themselves which is very time-consuming.
- Few issues in integrating with native external libraries.
Pros of PWA
- It makes any web app experience faster and reliable due to progressive enhancement.
- Cheaper to build and maintain.
- Reduced installation friction.
- PWAs can work on multiple platforms which in turn reduces the cost of development.
- Easy to find & share.
Cons of PWA
- Limited functionality that is PWAs can’t support native app typical features like fingerprint scanning, NFC, inter-app communication, and camera controls.
- Limited hardware & software support.
- No download app store presence.
Flutter vs Progressive Web App (PWA)
|Description||The apps are written in the Dart language and make use of many of the language as well as advanced features||The website with an app like -like features and interface|
|Installation||The app is installed directly on a device. The installation requires such steps as system requirements, flutter SDK, platform setup, ios or android setup, Xcode installation, deploy to devices.||The app isn’t installed on a device. A user needs to visit a website and add it to the home screen to launch an app.|
|Update delivery||The update is promptly delivered to the users when the current version is compared to the new version stored on Firebase.||Automated update for all the users without an app store approval.|
|Apps built using||Google Ads, Alibaba, Reflectly, Birch Finance||Uber, Twitter, Android Messages, Telegram, Tinder|
Which is better Flutter or PWA?
In contrast to true native, Flutter app development is for cross-platform advancement for both Android and iOS (this is something you can’t do with Java or Kotlin) whereas PWAs are progressively similar to a stage above web applications. PWAs also target Android and iOS like Flutter, however despite everything they have critical constraints.
Flutter will give your mobile application a native feel whereas PWAs are more for desktop apps that extend down to the mobile platform, but lack in some of the native mobile libraries that make mobile apps feel native and better performing. For the best UX, you should go for flutter and PWA is when you want your app usable from desktop and you want to target low-end Android Go devices. PWAs are far from being cross-platform mobile apps, Flutter (or React Native or Xamarin) is much better for that.